Most of the bathroom renovation can be done independently, without the help of specialists. This is especially true for the cosmetic decoration of the room since even a novice master can hide the pipes in a box and lay ceramic tiles. Before carrying out the work, you need to draw up a design project for the bathroom and determine where to start repairing the bathroom.
Is it possible to do the bathroom renovation yourself?
Basic work when the bathroom renovation can be done independently. A novice craftsman can easily flood a screed with his own hands, make waterproofing, plaster walls, solder plastic pipes, assemble a plasterboard box, and lay tiles.
More skills are required when installing electrical wiring. In this case, people with no experience should consult a specialist.
The main question that arises before bathroom renovation is where to start remodeling a bathroom. Experts recommend determining the budget at the first stage. It is necessary to designate the upper price bar for finishing materials, since all expenses will fall on them. Having a rough estimate will avoid unnecessary costs.
It is recommended to buy building materials in one store, since discounts are often given for bulk orders. The required amount of dry mixes can be calculated by knowing the surface area on which they will be applied. Tiles and porcelain stoneware need to be bought with a margin of 10-15%.
The correct sequence of a bathroom renovation is the key to a quality finish. All work is carried out in several stages. To begin with, they dismantle the old finish and pipes in the room, remove all unnecessary items.
Then the surfaces of the walls and floor are leveled. After that, they move on to marking up communications. The layout of the electrical and ventilation must be thought out in advance. Then the room is finished. The final stage is the connection of plumbing and furniture installation.
- Dismantling the bathtub, old coatings, and doors.
- Plastering walls.
- Engineering works (rough installation of pipes, electricians).
- Leveling the floor.
- Waterproofing works.
- Sealing of pipes in a plasterboard box (if necessary, installation of the installation on the gypsum board).
- Laying tiles.
- Installation of the door leaf.
- Ceiling decoration.
- Plumbing connection.
Bathroom Renovation Planning
It is not recommended to start renovating the bathroom without planning ahead. First, you need to think over the design of this room. You should decide on the style of the interior, its colors, think over the arrangement of furniture.
Experts recommend drawing a diagram of the room, indicating on it the dimensions of the walls, sockets, lamps, switches, and pipes. At this stage, you need to calculate the area of the surfaces that will need to be finished.
An important part of planning is the choice of finishing materials and plumbing. For repairs, choose ceramic tiles, plastic panels. Do in the bathroom and decorative plaster walls. It is better not to save on building mixes. It is recommended to choose plumbing equipment taking into account the size of the room.
Purchase of materials
To finish the bathroom, you will need the following rough materials:
- self-leveling floor screed;
- waterproofing mixture;
- tile adhesive;
- concrete contact;
- metal profile, beacons.
To dismantle the old tile, use a puncher, chisel and hammer. The work must be carried out very carefully so as not to get hurt by flying off pieces of tile. For protection, use glasses and gloves.
Dismantling begins with any edge tile. They beat off a piece from it with a hammer, and then pry the tile with a chisel. The cladding is removed piece by piece. The hammer drill works in a similar way.
Before laying the tiles, the previously painted surface must be cut with an ax. Then the surface is sanded with coarse sandpaper. Flaking elements (old paint, plaster) are removed with a spatula.
Floor screed and waterproofing
During the repair, the old screed is dismantled in the presence of defects and drops. The cleaned floor should be vacuumed and primed beforehand. The screed is poured over the level beacons. It is better to use non-shrinking mixes that quickly gain strength. This will help shorten the repair time.
Bath waterproofing is done in 2 ways:
- It is done before and after leveling the floor. To do this, first, use a roll, and then a coating waterproofing. This method is recommended for apartments on the upper floors, as this double protection will reduce damage in case of flooding.
- In the second case, the walls and floor are covered with a thin-layer cement-based waterproofing mixture. Before work, the surface will need to be moistened with water. The waterproofing mortar is applied to the corners. Then a tape with a mesh is glued onto it. After gluing the corners, the mixture is applied to the remaining surfaces, rubbing it into the base. It is allowed to harden for 3-6 hours. The second layer is applied perpendicular to the first. This method of waterproofing prevents water from entering under the tiles from the outside and helps to protect the finish in adjacent rooms.