The locksmith profession has not lost its relevance to this day. Modern locksmiths do more complex work than their predecessors, but the essence of the profession remains the same.
A locksmith is one who works with metal and creates objects, devices, and parts of mechanisms from it. He also knows how to work with electrical equipment, plumbing, and vehicles.
There are over 70 types of locksmiths. There is a general definition of who a locksmith is – these are specialists in the repair of various equipment, in working with metal, as well as in the installation and dismantling of structures and structures.
But each specialization has its own subtleties and specifics.
Some of the most sought after areas of locksmiths :
- general fitter
- the mechanic of mechanical assembly works;
- locksmith for instrumentation and automation;
- car repair mechanic (car mechanic);
- mechanic for the repair of road-building machines and tractors;
- locksmith for the repair and maintenance of reloading machines;
- mechanic for the repair and maintenance of ventilation and air conditioning systems;
Locksmith profession: what does this specialist do
- assembly and disassembly;
- parts manufacturing;
- repair work of equipment for various purposes;
- conducting inspections to identify defects and determine the level of performance;
- ensuring the serviceability of the tools used.
Representatives of the profession are involved in almost all spheres of the economy. A locksmith can be found at an industrial enterprise, in the structure of housing and communal services, a car repair workshop.
A specialist can start his own business, becoming an entrepreneur, and provide services individually. Also, a locksmith can master a related profession to expand his capabilities.
All that a locksmith does is work in difficult and dangerous conditions, so he must follow safety procedures and use protective equipment.
The locksmith’s work schedules vary. They can work in shifts, on a rotational basis, or 5 days a week. Locksmiths are not only in demand but also have various options for career development. For example, if you have a secondary specialized education, a locksmith can become a senior team and take on administrative functions. And if the worker decides to continue his education, he can become an engineer.
How to get a profession, training options
Due to the variety of specialties and great functionality, representatives of the profession need to have a specialized education for the quality performance of their work.
This direction is available in almost all technical schools and colleges with a technical bias, so there are no difficulties in getting an education. The educational program usually includes both general subjects and specialized ones.
There are several disciplines, knowledge of which is necessary for further professional development :
If training in a secondary specialized educational institution takes about two years, then on special courses you can learn a profession in about a month.
Also, a novice specialist can get a profession at the enterprise itself. To do this, he needs to become an apprentice with experience.
The specialty offers great opportunities for professional development. There are not only advanced training courses but also retraining courses. With their help, the worker can master new professions.
The ranks of the profession locksmith
The skill levels of the representatives of the profession differ depending on the orientation. Often the first category assumes the simplest functionality, and the results of activities are monitored by more experienced colleagues. A 6th grade works with the most complex tools and equipment.
- First category. Knows how to perform simple work with basic locksmith tools. Creates parts that do not require long processing.
- Second category. Knows how to perform simple processing of parts, manual cutting of iron, processing of sheet metal.
- Third category. Able to create simple mechanisms, perform more precise processing of products. Knows how to work with most machine tools, draw and use measuring tools.
- Fourth category. Works with tools of average complexity performs precise fitting of parts. Knows how to create templates for simple products.
- Fifth grade. He works with complex tools, makes complex templates, knows how to sharpen cutting tools, and set up multisite equipment.
- Sixth category. The highest step in the profession. Performs major and medium repairs of equipment. Knows the structure of complex mechanisms, knows how to work with different types of metals.
Locksmith skill requirements
The main condition is love for manual labor, interest in technology, and mechanisms. Without this condition, it will be difficult to work in this area.
The work is difficult, so it requires not only physical strength and endurance but also readiness for painstaking and monotonous work. Fine motor skills of the hands and a good eye are also important.
Basic requirements for a locksmith :
- a responsibility;
- hard work.
Each of the many specialties has its own salary level. For example, a plumber can receive a salary of about 40 thousand dollars. Instrumentation has the opportunity to earn about 50 thousand dollars. And the level of salary of a car mechanic can reach 80 thousand dollars.
According to the employee search service, they can count on the following salary:
- Minimum – from 7 thousand dollars for part-time work.
- The maximum is up to 190 thousand dollars.
Pros and cons of the profession
- demand and relevance in the labor market;
- many narrowly focused specialties;
- high level of wages;
- career prospects;
- the opportunity to master a profession in production.
- difficult working conditions;
- great physical activity.