If necessary, tiling the bathtub must first create surfaces to which it will be attached with tile adhesive. Plasterboard, brick, aerated concrete screens are most suitable for these purposes.
In addition to the screen tiling, wide rims for soap accessories and shelves can be used to mask the wide gap between the end rim of the bath and the wall. Less often, the bowl itself is also revetted with mosaics from the inside.
Screen tiling construction
Tiling of the bathtub around its perimeter with tiles is in demand in the following cases:
- the sliding removable screen does not meet the user’s requirements for any reason;
- for additional support of the sanitary bowl, 1 – 4 parapets are erected along its perimeter, on the upper plane of which it will be planted;
- it is necessary to tile with tiles absolutely all the structures inside the bathroom in accordance with the design project;
- it is necessary to increase the width of the side to accommodate shampoos, soap dishes, washcloths, and other soap accessories/accessories.
If the task of increasing the stability of plumbing during its operation is not worth it, then it is easier and cheaper to mount a frame structure from a galvanized profile or a wooden bar, then sheathe it with plasterboard.
Support structures made of bricks, tongue-and-groove slabs are often used either to increase the stability of plumbing fixtures or to obtain additional shelves 4 – 8 cm wide along its sides.
During the construction of a brick screen, the following nuances must be taken into account:
- the brick is laid on the edge in straight screens with bandaging in half a stone;
- under corner, asymmetric, semicircular, oval bathtubs, ordinary masonry in half a brick is most often used;
- cement-sand mortar in a ratio of 1: 4, respectively, to increase plasticity, a tablespoon of Fairey cleaning agent is usually added to the mixture bucket;
- the screen before facing with tiles is plastering without fail since the surface is uneven;
- an incomplete brickwork seam is used for plaster;
- at least one opening is left in the screen for a plumbing hatch near the siphon;
- plastering is carried out on beacons, on straight sections as a rule, on radius screens with a piece of plastic profile, plinth;
- for facing the side of the bath flush, the masonry must be brought inside the perimeter of the sanitary ware by the thickness of the tile, glue, and plaster, that is, by 2.5 – 3 cm;
- if the design project includes a shelf along one or more sides of the bath, the masonry, on the contrary, should protrude outward, taking into account the width of the tile.
When making a box for lateral support of the sides of the bowl from all sides at once, when the bath is placed inside the last, there is a problem with adjusting the masonry in height. In this case, the following technique is used:
- legs are attached to the bowl;
- they are roughly adjusted in height (with a tape measure from the side of the bath);
- the bath is installed on a layer of cardboard next to a brick structure, and a laser plane builder is mounted between them;
- after which, the legs of the bowl are adjusted to the existing level of masonry.
- If the screen is laid out on one, two, or three sides in place, such problems do not arise in principle. The most difficult is the good masonry in a ring for a round plumbing bowl.
Labor intensity increases sharply, since it is necessary to control the vertical level many times at numerous points of the great circle.
The advantages of this tiling construction material are:
- low requirements for the qualifications of the master;
- no frame, no need to drill walls, floors;
- high strength, the load-bearing capacity of the screen, maintainability of the coating.
The disadvantages of the tiling technology are:
- a small number and size of openings for plumbing hatches;
- use of jumpers over large-format openings;
- an increase in the repair period due to a large amount of work – masonry, plaster;
- availability of “wet” technologies – masonry, plaster.
On the other hand, when buying a brick, you can take a slightly larger amount of it in order to at the same time strengthen the bath with pedestals made of this material.
Plasterboard tiling construction
The second most popular for the manufacture of stationary screens is moisture-resistant drywall. When sheathing the perimeter of the sanitary bowl with this structural material, the following nuances must be taken into account:
- the frame is made of a galvanized profile;
- racks for fastening plumbing hatches must be reinforced (double profile);
- the frame is attached to the walls and bottom slab
- for sheathing of radius / curved sections of screens under corner, oval, round tubs, drywall is either soaked with wet towels for 40 minutes, or slots are created in it from the side of a smaller bend radius;
- instead of standard hatches, drawers, folding shelves, panels can be used.
Two disadvantages of tiling structures made of gypsum plasterboard under the sanitary bowl are zero maintainability and the need to attach to the load-bearing structures of the apartment. The home craftsman has to drill walls, partitions, floors, most often in inconvenient places. During the next repair, it is almost impossible to tear off the tile from the gypsum board sheet, you will have to change it along with the drywall.
The advantages of the tiling technology are as follows:
- low load on walls, floor slab;
- easy production of partitions of complex shape;
- high manufacturability of operations;
- installation of hatches of any size in the required quantity.